Monday, October 7, 2013

Learning to Love

I’ve worked in a large variety of ministries for most of my life and generally felt that I received much more than I gave. God’s just like that I suppose. If we come to him with an open surrendered heart he loves to fill it up with his love (Ephes. 1:23). I was however not prepared for what I would be met with when I entered the Amazon. My first experience was of the city of Manaus which compared to the US was very dirty, overcrowded, crumbling and chaotic (not to mention the disgustingly humid weather). After a couple days there I embarked on the over 24 hour journey up the Amazon River to San Antonio. The boat was nice and I enjoyed the view of the river and was still full of excited anticipation. When we arrived the real adventure began. The Port was nothing like I had expected and I was quickly put onto the back of a dirt bike which was one of the local taxis. I was petrified as we sped up and down steep hills and around numerous pot holes. The after maneuvering down several streets lined with little dilapidated wooden houses that looked more like sheds, we arrived at the Peace’s beautifully kept cement home surrounded by tons of flowering bushes and trees. The poverty struck me the hardest, which is saying a lot since I’ve worked in some pretty poverty stricken areas in the US before. The longer I’m here though them more I am taken aback by the simple joy these people have. A great example is a birthday party I was invited to for one of Jessica Peace’s friends who was turning 13. There where at least 13 girls ranging in age from 3-14 and as far as I could tell, they had planned it all. Someone had a few balloons and we spend quite a bit of time just batting them around and having a marvelous time. They had all dressed their best and the birthday girl had on a beautiful dress her grandmother had made for her. After everyone had been served cake, candy and popcorn the birthday girl (Ilene) stood up for speeches. Each of her friends then proceeded to give a little speech express what a special friend Ilene was to them. I was so touched by their sincerity and sweetness. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a 13 year old bless her friend and wish that she would follow God and walk with him for the rest of her life. I believe God has sent me here to really learn how to love his people. Distractions have been removed and I am certainly out of my comfort zone. And the fact that verbal communication is so hard forces me to find new ways to show love to those around me and God’s love in me.

No comments: